FORMER Charlton Athletic footballer and Purley resident Richard Rufus may be stopped from running a company after he was made bankrupt last year with up to £8 million worth of debts.
Rufus, 39, of The South Border, was made bankrupt in October 2013 after a £6 million failed investment scheme in high risk stocks and property cost his church £5 million.
Rufus came out of insolvency on October 22 this year but the official receiver has lodged an application for a bankruptcy restrictions order against him, which could prevent him from running a company.
A brief hearing at the Rolls Building of the High Court in London today (December 17) was told Rufus’ solicitors had asked for time to prepare their evidence in response to the application.
The former England under-21 international became a financial consultant after his injury-plagued Addicks career came to an end in 2004.
A born-again Christian, he was ordered to pay back £6.9 million to his church the Kingsway International Christian Centre and found £1.7 million.
However, his bankruptcy prevented any more money being recovered, with investors in the high risk scheme losing more than £3 million.
An Insolvency Service spokesman said Rufus may have debts of up to £16 million and owes the money to two church organisations and individual creditors.
Born in Lewisham, the 6ft 1in defender rose through Charlton’s academy and was tipped to play for England.
However, his career was dogged by knee injuries and he retired in 2004 but was voted in 2005 as Charlton’s greatest ever defender.
The case was adjourned until March 4, 2015 for a further directions hearing.